Welcome to the another Week of Footy!
Please note the Newsletter will be posted online every 2 weeks from today.
Team Photos coming up this week!
Team photos are coming up - 16th & 17th May... Some teams have been given order envelopes on Sunday, the remaining will have theirs tonight and Wednesday.
Players are asked to wear full game day uniform, playing jumper, purple shorts, socks and footy boots. Team Officials to wear club apparel.
Bring order form back on the night. Even if not ordering photos you still have your picture taken.
Night 1 Wed 16th May
4:30pm U8 (1)
5:00pm U8 (2)
6:00pm U10 RED
6:30pm U10 BLUE
Night 2 - Thur 17th May
6.45pm U17 Squad
Please see your Team Managers if you have any further questions.
In addition, the AJFC will be running the Cadbury Chocolate fundraising drive and handing out the boxes on the same night as photos, to those families who wish to take them. The Team to sell the most (prorata) will win a "Kids Eat Free" at Numero Uno.
Please tell your kids to NOT take the chocolates home if you don't want to sell them. We appreciate the support but respect your choice!
Return date for the chocolates is Round 9 - 24 June.
Please return them to each Team Manager
(not siblings Team Manager or Committee)
Nathan Gladigau - Numero Uno award
Lincoln Haley - Hangar award
Photos below, Names not advised.
The U11s LOVED the new Team pre-game prep room and the stepped seating! They felt like professionals!
(Please note - If you would like your child's photo shared, please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Truth about Sports Drinks
Some of our Young Vikings arrive at training and games with big bottles of sports drinks. As the Parent, it is your right to offer your child this. However, we thought we would explain why we choose to provide water to hydrate your loved ones on match day.
- Sports Drinks were initially researched and marketed after studying Athletes who fell ill after strenuous exercise in the heat.
- If you're simply an active person who plays social tennis, swims or goes to the gym a couple of times a week, you don't need sports drinks.
- Sports Drinks can be expensive compared to fresh water.
- Sports Drinks are full of ingredients like electrolytes such as potassium, but also full of sugar, sometimes up to 56gms.
- Sports drinks are acidic and can erode dental enamel.
- The high salt content is particularly undesirable for young children and lead to high blood pressure.
- Some Sport Drinks contain food colouring that is derived from Petroleum and can lead to hyperactivity in some children.
- For most children, water remains the best source of hydration, and foods like fresh fruits and vegetables are the best source of carbohydrates and electrolyte replacement.
If you are not considering purchasing the Entertainment Book the kids brought home last week, please return it to your Team Manager at the next Training for return to the Fundraiser.
Your assistance is appreciated!
Pre-game Snack Attack!
This week's snack will add some zing to your kids spring during their game!
POPCORN ENERGY BITES
Makes : 14-16 mid size balls
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
1/2 cup Popcorn
1 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup cashew butter
1/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tsp vanilla extract
small pinch of salt
In your food processor, process the dried apricots until they are finely chopped. Add the cashew butter, coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract. Pulse until a liquefied paste forms. Add the protein powder, flax seed meal and 4 cups of popped popcorn. Pulse for 5 seconds until the popcorn just breaks down a bit.
Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and with a spatula incorporate all the ingredients.
With your hands, break the remaining 2 cups of popcorn into finer pieces. This will take you just 5-10 seconds. Form balls with the popcorn mixture and dip into the broken popcorn pieces. Transfer popcorn balls to a plate and continue to form balls until you finish your mixture.
Store popcorn balls in your fridge for up to 2-3 days or in your freezer for up to a month.
Quote of the Week